I will be honest that I haven’t had black chickpeas curry before I moved to London some six years ago. I ate them at a friend’s house in London who is from Pakistan for the first time in my life. I loved them. It is a chickpeas curry but very different than white chickpeas or chhole. I was happy that I ate something different and tasty. Apparently, kalay chanay ka salan or black chickpeas curry is a popular dish in Pakistan.
I haven’t learned the recipe from anyone, it’s my own recipe! It is simple and tasty. Try it if you want to eat chickpeas in gravy style.
It is a gravy dish that is full of nutrition and different flavors.
It is a two steps recipe- BOILING THE CHICKPEAS and MAKING THE GRAVY.
Serves: 4 people
Cooking time- 40 minutes
STEP1- BOILING THE CHICKPEAS (You can soak the black chickpeas overnight for the best result or minimum for 6 hours. Or you can use canned black chickpeas- they are fine too)
250-300 gm- Black Chickpeas (wash them and soak them as long as you can- I soak them overnight).
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of cooking oil
2 inch long cinnamon stick
Wash the chickpeas and put them in a pressure cooker for boiling. Add water just half a finger above the chickpeas. Add salt, cooking oil and cinnamon stick. Boil them on low heat with the whistle on for about 15 minutes.
Once boiled, keep them aside.
(If you don’t have a pressure cooker, boil them in a pot till they are soft. And if you are using the canned chickpeas, only follow the step 2, please!)
STEP2- MAKING THE GRAVY
1 good-sized onion- peeled and chopped in thin slices
3 medium-size tomatoes- pureed in a grinder
2 tsp of cumin seeds
3 black peppers corns
1 tsp of coriander powder
2 tsp of turmeric powder
1 and a half tsp of red chili powder (or to your taste)
3 tsp of salt (or to your taste)
3 tbs of yogurt- better if it is thick /creamy one.
2 green chilies – chopped roughly (OPTIONAL)
A handful of fresh coriander leaves (OPTIONAL)
1 and a half serving spoon of cooking oil
1. Heat cooking oil in a pot, add onions and fry them till light golden. Add cumin seeds and black pepper corns. Fry them till they splutter.
2. Add tomato puree and sauté it for a minute or so on high heat. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Saute it for 6 minutes or till oil separates. Add yogurt.
3. Make sure you stir while adding the yogurt. Keep stirring it till you get the first boil. After adding yogurt, saute the gravy masala for another 7 minutes or so on medium heat.
4. Now add chickpeas with all its water (if there is any left while boiling).
5. Add water according to thickness of the gravy you want.
6. Add green chillies and let it cook on low heat with the lid on for three minutes or so.
7. Your Black chickpeas curry is ready. Garnish it with fresh coriander!
Best eaten with rice!
Recipe By: Khadeeja Arif
The recipe was first published here: https://yourownrecipes.wordpress.com/