Maha Shivratri is celebrated in the dark fortnight or Krishna Paksha on the 13th or 14th night of the month. It is said that devotees who observe this day with utmost sincerity and devotion, their sins are washed away.
As India gears up to celebrate Maha Shivratri with great enthusiasm, the devotees offer milk, water, bel leaves, and fruits with bhang or hemp. It is believed that Shiva in Kailash smoked hemp as such traditionally it is offered to Lord Shiva on this auspicious day.
So, in case, you are looking for some bhang-infused drink to try on Maha Shivratri, here is the traditional recipe of Thandai that goes really well with Bhang.
Powdered Sugar-4-5 tablespoon
Black pepper- a pinch
Crushed Almonds and Pistachios-1/4th cup
Cardamom Powder-1 teaspoon
Saffron strands-a few
White Pepper- a pinch
Poppy seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Combine milk, powdered sugar, cardamom powder, saffron strands, white pepper, and black pepper.
- Whisk it well.
- Add crushed almonds, pistachios, and poppy seeds to the milk mixture. Mix it well.
- Refrigerate it for at least an hour.
- You can strain the mixture if you want. (Optional)
- Add Bhang to the mixture and mix it well.
- Pour equal quantities of the thandai in the glasses and serve chilled.