Vada Pav is one of Mumbai’s most famous snacks. You can say it’s synonymous with the city. In fact, I remember when I was in Mumbai, it was one of my cravings to eat Mumbai’s Vada Pav. But true, this lip-smacking spicy street food is loved by all. Do not miss out this street food whenever you visit Mumbai.
Let’s see what makes it so special. And try out the recipe at home 🙂
For Garlic/Red Chutney
Sesame seeds-1 tablespoon
Dry red chilies-3-4 (depends how spicy you prefer)
Salt-1 tablespoon, as per taste
For Coriander/Green Chutney
Please refer the recipe here: https://leapingwindow.wordpress.com/2018/09/24/chhole-tikki-chaat/
For Vada or Aloo Patties
Ginger paste-1/2 tablespoon
Salt-2-3 tablespoon, as per taste
Red Chili Powder-2 tablespoon, as per taste
Lemon Juice/Dry Mango Powder-2 tablespoon
Chopped Coriander leaves-1 cup
Gram Flour- 1 cup
Water-1/2 cup, as needed
Salt-1/ 2 tablespoon, as per taste
Red chili powder-1 tablespoon
Fennel seeds-1/2 tablespoon
For Garlic/red Chutney
- Heat a pan and dry roast sesame seeds and dry chilies. Sauté it till sesame seeds turn brownish and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan and add garlic cloves and sauté it for 5mins on a medium flame.
- Transfer roasted sesame seeds, dry red chilies, garlic into the mixer and salt
- Blend the mixture into a coarse chutney
For Vadas/ Potato Patties
- Boil the potatoes, peel them off, and mash it well.
- Add chopped green chilies, coriander leaves, salt, red chili powder, lemon juice/dry mango powder, asafoetida, fennel seeds and mix it well.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions and make small balls out if the mixture.
- Mix gram flour, water, salt, red chili powder, and turmeric powder
- Whisk it until the batter gets smooth and there are no lumps.
- The batter should neither be too thick or thin.
- Heat oil in a pan and dip the vadas/potato patties into the mixture and deep fry it until it turns golden in color.
- Strain the excess oil and keep it aside
For Vada Pav
- Toast the buns with some butter on the pan, do not make it too crispy
- Spread garlic chutney and green chutney on both the side of the buns
- Place the vadas/potato patties
- Serve it hot with fried green chilies and green chutney or ketchup o
You can make the chutneys in advance and store it in the refrigerator. The chutneys stay for long and this will save your time.