Khaman is a steamed cake prepared with semolina, veggies, and spices. It’s highly nutritious and irresistible Gujarati snack. The flavor of spinach adds more nutrition to the dish. It’s so spongy that it just melts in your mouth. It can be served with accompaniments like assorted chutneys, fried green chilies. It is a quick recipe which makes a delicious snack any time of the day.
Red Chili Powder
Eno (Fruit Salt) – 1 teaspoon
- Combine semolina and curd and whisk it well
- Wash spinach thoroughly and boil it in a cooker
- Drain the excess water and let it cool down
- Blend the boiled spinach and add it into the semolina mixture
- Add corn, salt, sugar and red chili powder as per your taste. Mix it well
- At the end add eno or fruit salt.
- Take a broad vessel with a lid to steam khaman
- Pour the mixture into a steamer plate and the plate should be smaller than the steamer vessel
- Add 1-2 glasses of water in the steamer and place the plate over a small stand in the vessel
- Simmer the flame and steam it for 12-15mins.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, green chilies, and curry leaves. Spread it over the khaman mixture.
- Cut into small pieces and serve with coriander chutney or ketchup!